Tuesday 2 October 2012

Dear God, thank you for the purple people.

'I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation.' - Philippians 4:12

   I love this piece of scripture, the extreme situations of poverty and decadence which surround it, showing polarising images explaining that Christians should hold onto God no matter their circumstance, and be willing to accept their situations with thanksgiving to Him who gives all, and to get through struggles with 'Him who gives me strength' [4:13].
   Speaking to a friend briefly online before retiring for the night I sort of misquoted this, describing the night I had had, in a rather jovial fashion. I thought I would share with you the rather strange and uplifting evening I have had, in this short but sweet blog before bed!
   Being at Harding for the Lectureship, my Dad knowing many people his age or older and wanting to reconnect or connect for the first time with other active Christians, one of his friends invited us and a bunch of other 'experienced' folk (some more than others) round his home for some coffee and sweet things. We happily obliged, and in not too long the party was in full swing. Ages from 20 (me) and then between 35 and 70-something were swapping preacher tales and mission fables, hilarious quotes from colourful characters and figuring out common contacts on the ever growing Church family tree.

   Being the youngest in a family so familiar with hosting a wide range of ages, sizes and numbers in Campaign groups, Bible School meetings, family gatherings and Youth Weekends, I grew up being around all sorts of people. It was wonderful. And so useful when it comes to moments like these, which are increasingly frequent, when one has to converse with new people of a different age. It is lovely to get to know the new mothers, older mothers, grandmothers, grandfathers, fathers, preachers, missionaries, elders and all sorts. To see our common love and devotion for God flourish through stories and memories with an undying passion is such an encouragement. I can only hope that when I'm 70-something I'll be running marathons bare foot, have learned ventriloquism, and be able to say I have changed someones life for the better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment